Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Poetry Thursday

image by Liam Quin

A Book

There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson-
This poem sums up my recent excitement with all the books I've been finding lately. Emily Dickinson is a wonderful poet in her own right, so check out more of her brilliant words. I've already mentioned loving "Julie/Julia" by Julie Powell and just don't want it to end! To think one woman came up with a project that revolved around food (one of my favorite things!) and blogged her way into the life of a published author, amazes me. It's so inspiring and helping me get through my monotonous days at work.
I also had two books come in on hold at the library for me yesterday- both made me do a little happy dance when I saw what they were! I love Frances Mayes and her books about Tuscany, so was ecstatic to find out she had a new one out, "A Year in the World". As you can probably guess, travel books are always on the top of my lists of what to read next- I can't wait to start it! The other book waiting for me was a cookbook I had heard about through the British Amazon, one of the most used as a wedding gift- "Silver Spoon". It turned out to be a huge bible-like tome full of Italian food- everything you could ever imagine is in there. I can't conceive someone actually making all of those recipes, but I am well up for reading them! Another one of my favorite things are cookbooks. Anyone else find themselves drooling over the pictures and visualizing the recipes gracing your table with friends?!!
Cookbooks and travel stories- what a treat!! What books get you excited!!?
Some of my other all time favorite reads are:
anything by Isabella Dusi (about her new life in Italy)
anything by Bill Bryson (always sure to induce laughter out loud!)
"Poisonwood Bible" and "Prodigal Summer" by Barbara Kingsolver
"The God of Small Things", by Arundhati Roy
anything by Joanne Harris (so delicious!)
"Life of Pi", by Yann Martel
anything by Dorothy Dunnet or Diana Gabaldon or Phillipa Gregory(for history buffs)
all of Jamie Oliver's cookbooks
"Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides
"My sister's keeper", by Jodi Picoult
I could go on and on and on and on....so I'll stop now. Emily Dickinson was so right- books are incredible.

5 comments:

Susannah Conway said...

ooh, you went on a book delirium ride there didn't you :-) some fabulous choices in your list - and you're inspiring me to do something similar on my wee blog.... Sx

Laini Taylor said...

Hey, thanks for the Isabella Dusi recommendation -- I've never heard of her, and Italian expatriot adventures are a big favorite of mine too (though I must say I've had enough of Frances Mayes' 'my life is so much better than yours' narratives, but am still curious about the new one. Also, I loved Life of Pi, and have met people who so violently hated it (that ending is tough for people, but it's what completely amazed and impressed me) so I'm always curious to hear what people think of it.

gkgirl said...

i have read and loved
poisonwood bible
and god of small things...

you should try
"fall on your knees"
by anne marie macdonald.

i used to work in a bookstore
and i would use that book
to test to see if the customer
had the same taste i did...
if they read it and loved it,
i could suggest OODLES of other books
:)

Maggie May said...

WONDERFUL post. I love many of the same books/authors and I'm obsessed with Emily Dickinson (surprised that we have this in common too? not really...). I just read The God of Small Things and I'm still absorbed in the web of words. I'm getting in touch with you if I get stuck in Vancouver!! xoxo

liz elayne lamoreux said...

i adore lists of books...and your list includes some of my favorites (prodigal summer, bill bryson [i have read and reread a walk in the woods and i crack up out loud each time], joanne harris) and some i have not read yet...so thanks for giving me more to add to my list. love it.
(and emily dickenson does know a thing or two doesn't she.)