Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Moments from my long weekend

Deep Cove seen from Belcarra Park
Friday night we went out for dinner at Poncho's, an "authentic" Mexican restaurant in our neighbourhood. The food wasn't bad, but the best part was the couple who ran the place. She was singing on her guitar by the time our mains came, and had everyone singing and playing tambourines and shakers by the time we were done! It was such a great surprise and too much fun!!
Saturday we spent some time on Main Street, a place full of antique shops and retro used clothing stores. Saw some fabulous stuff, but realized I'm not quite funky enough for some of those retro fashions! We also bought tennis rackets and had a game that night- I'd forgotten how much I love playing this sport!! It does require more effort than I remember from my days as a teenager going to lessons in the summer...sigh. But it was still brilliant and a great laugh- we're definitely going to be playing a lot more! Hopefully we'll meet some other couples to play with as well.
Belcarra Park

Sunset beach near our flat

Sunday we went to Belcarra Park for a hike. After a relatively long yet easy journey on public transport (still amazed at how far you can get and with our monthly passes as well!), we arrived in a beautiful spot. It was over run with families having big picnics and children running around in the grass and on the beach, but we escaped up the trails into the hills. I love being amongst nature, where it's so quiet and alive. It was just what I needed- a re-connection.

Monday we went over to the Emily Carr Institute on Granville Island to see their graduates art exhibit- it was fantastic! Such diversity and creative originality, I was in awe. My favorite part was the animation exhibits- their work was incredible. It also looked like it a would be a great place to work...might have to look into that. Maybe even take a summer course...hmmm.

I love long weekends, such a treat. It's too bad we can't have shorter work weeks, but still get paid the same! Ah, to dream.

3 comments:

Maggie May said...

Ooooooh your pictures made me so excited to get back to the west coast and all the wonderful mountains. I can feel North Idaho summers calling out to me. And "authentic" Mexican food, as only the Pacific Northwest can do it...I can't wait.

Letha Sandison said...

Wow, that looks like such a beautiful place!! It is hard to beat the North West for beauty, especially BC!! You lucky girl. It sounds like you had a wonderful, amazing weekend!!

I wanted to thank you so much for your comments on my blog today. They really meant a lot to me. I wish we could go grab a cup of tea together! Maybe some day :)

Thanks again for your kind and soothing words and for sharing your beautiful weekend.

XO-Letha

Jennifer S. said...

Beautiful photos, sounds like a perfect long weekend to me. I would love to see the Emily Carr museum one of these days. I'm going to have to plan a trip up that way one of these days.