Thursday, May 25, 2006

Poetry Thursday

The Bridge
This bridge will only take you halfway there
To those mysterious lands you long to see
Through gypsy camps and swirling Arab fairs
And moonlit woods where unicorns run free.
So come and walk awhile with me and share
the twisting trails and wondrous worlds I've known.
But this bridge will only take you halfway there -
The last few steps you'll have to take alone.
-Shel Silverstein-
I'm not sure, once again, if someone has posted this one already, but I love his work and this poem resonates with my life and my travels so strongly- I had to share it! I miss the imagination I had as a kid- without any boundaries or critics in my head telling me I'm being silly or unrealistic. Time to re-connect with that child within again.
Just a few thoughts(venting) about the big American Idol finale this week (not intending to offend anyone!!):
- I'm really glad Taylor won, he was my favorite from the beginning! I can't wait to see what sort of music they put on his first album! I did like Kat too, she was my second choice!
- I've never watched a whole season before, but was totally disappointed by the finale, with singing the same songs and knowing pretty much who was going to win, it felt like a let down; does this happen every season?
- what's with all the old artists coming on stage, shamelessly going for publicity to kick start their own most recent come backs?
- it felt a bit like a circus last night, with the cheesy awards and all the random songs and various pairings...anyone else? Could they not just have a half hour show announcing the winner?
- my biggest worry is that more people are voting for the winner of a singing/popularity contest than for their President, a person who has an influence on what's happening throughout the entire globe...is anyone else concerned? maybe they should have some sort of President-idol next time, find a new way to encourage voters to come out and have their say

4 comments:

liz elayne lamoreux said...

this poem invited little tears. i love how shel silverstein does this. just when you least expect it. i love him.

(i agree with you about the finale. though i am still cracking up about that moment when that kid realized clay aiken was behind him.)

Laini Taylor said...

Your photos from your last post are gorgeous -- isn't the northwest a glorious part of the world? That you can get to places like that right outside the cities? (Also, I must add since it just started to hail maniacally outside with no warning, crazy weather!) As for American Idol, I haven't been watching this season, but on commercial breaks during Lost we switched over to it and couldn't believe how lame and cheesey it looked! And Taylor? I don't really get it. (And voting in this country - oy.)

Jennifer S. said...

great poem.

I never seen a single episode of AI - so I have no idea. But the idea of more people voting for this than the Pres is disturbing. Do you have to be a certain age to vote?

Becca said...

This is my first season for AI too, and I had really disdained it before this year. But I really enjoyed watching the transformation of these young people from wannabee amateurs into professional entertainers. I teach high school music, so this part of the story really resonates with me. But yes, the idea of more people voting for AI than for President does distrub me. Maybe Taylor should run for Prez??