Thursday, May 11, 2006

Poetry Thursday

lyrics by Beth Orton
Running down to a central reservation
In last night's red dress
And I can still smell you on my fingers
And taste you on my breath
Stepping through brilliant shades
Of the color you bring
But this time, this time, this time
Is whatever I want it to mean
If this is where memories are made
I'm gonna like what I see
And everything I ever took for granted
I'm gonna let it be
I step through every shade
Of the color you bring
But this time, this time, this time
Is whatever I want it to mean
And everything and nothing is
As sacred as we want it to be
When it's real
Make it real
Compared to what?
It's like living in the middle of the ocean
With no future, no past
And everything that's good about now
Might just glide right past
I'm stepping through brilliant shades
Of the color you bring
But this time, this time, this time
Is fine just as it is
And everything is sacred here,
And nothing is as sacred as I want it to be
When it's real
Compared to what?
Today I'm submitting the lyrics to one of my favorite songs. Music is my favorite form of poetry- I love when a song reaches out and grabs my attention with lines like in this one :And I can still smell you on my fingers and taste you on my breath. This particular song holds meaning as I discovered it and its artist while living in the UK the first time- a time when I was also discovering the world and myself, who I was and wanted to be. I absorbed the line "this time is whatever I want it to be" and still hold it dear to my life, to my path. It's up to me to create a life I'm happy with, feel fulfilled by, get excited about- not someone else. Too often, I wait for it to fall into my lap, the "Solution", but I'm tired of waiting- it's time to get up and do something. I always say life has a way of working out for me, but what I forget is that I often am open to the possibilities, and ready for them- even if I don't know what they are before hand...does that make sense??
For other poetic inspirations, head to Poetry Thursday.
ps- have another blog format question/query: why can't I get the spaces between paragraphs (or sections of a poem) to stay in the final draft? any ideas??

6 comments:

Susannah Conway said...

this is one of my favourite songs too - how did you know? :-)
Sx

Letha Sandison said...

I LOVE her!

I know what you mean...I have been stuck in the land of the overwhelmed lately... I am trying to turn it around with a "I can DO anything!" attitude :)

I have a MAC, so blogger won't let me do anything...no links, colors, nothing! SO irritating. They say they will support Safari "soon".

Jennifer S. said...

Song lyrics are often true poetry...

Letha Sandison said...

M, You have sun?!? You lucky girl! We have a cloudy sky and a chilly breeze. I am hoping that it will get sunnier as the day progresses, that's how yesterday went. Sun is such a mood lifter. Don't get me wrong, I love our NW weather but I am in a sping mood and would love a day to go with it.

Happy Friday, I hope you have a beautiful and fun weekend!

Kathleen said...

I do have the Curious George Soundtrack. I adore it. I brought it in and made the gr. 9's jam to it in SOcial Studies class one day. Hilarious!

Love
K

p.s. Beth Orton rocks (I was going to just say B.O. but then had to hit the backspace because that's just yucky!)

liz elayne lamoreux said...

i love these words...now i need to hear her sing it (i must admit that i have heard of her but have not heard her).
i love it when you come across a line that walks right across your heart. beautiful.