Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Book Meme, my version

Bodelian Library (one of my favroites!) from Stuart Yeates, on Flickr

One book that changed your life- I don't know if I can narrow it down to one. Time Traveler's Wife, Poisonwood Bible, God of Small Things, Alanna, Dorothy Dunnet, Eat Pray Love,

One book you have read more than once - the Alanna Books, The Song of the Lioness Series (four in the series); about a girl who disguises herself as a boy to become a knight in a world created by the author. She is willing to do whatever it takes to become a knight of the realm and make a difference in the lives of those around her. She meets some wonderful friends who help her along the way, gets to fall in love, even grows up to become a mother. Her incredible determination and passion help her achieve her goals and she becomes one of the strongest knights in the realm, even once her true identity has been revealed. I wanted to be her, to know what she wanted and be passionate enough to go for it. I still want this! I've read and re-read the whole series about 10 times between when I was 14 and now. I can still read them and love them. These books got me reading again after being frightened away from it when I was 7 years old, scary teacher I think. I think all young girls should read them. My daughters will! Maybe I'll go read them now!

One book you would want on a desert island - Jane Austen's Complete Works or Shakespeare's Complete Works

One book that made you laugh - anything by Bill Bryson, but especially his travel books about England and the one about moving to America, and the one about Australia- actually, anything by Bill Bryson! Laugh out loud funny. He's one of those people I'd love to have lunch with, pick his brain.

One that made you cry - My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Picoult, wow did I ever cry over this one. It made me really miss my sisters and wish I could see them more often.

One book you wish had been written - a book about what you can do after your graduate university and don't know what to do! A guide for life. A book that can tell me what job I would be most happy and fulfilled with, as well as best suited for.

One book you wish hadn't been written - I agree with Susannah on this one, every book that's been written has given us something. If only a yard stick to measure good and bad books by, they have given us something. But then again, Old Man and the Sea was one of the more painful ones I had to read in school that I could have done without.

One book you're currently reading - I'm reading History of Love by Nicole Kraus and would highly recommend it. It's made me laugh out loud in some parts and want to cry in others. It's about an old man who survived the Holocaust and a young girl trying to deal with her father's death and help her mother with her grief. And all of it surrounds a book called the History of Love. Go find it! Everything else has been put on hold till I finish this one.

One book you loved as a kid - Go Dog Go, by P.D. Eastman. I loved the picture of the dogs up n the tree having a party. Or The Paperbag Princess, by Robert Munsch - gotta love girl power! Children's books that I would love to write.

One book that is your all time favorite (this year) - A Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger. This book was amazing, it touched me on so many levels and was such a breath of fresh air in its originality and creativity. The story comes out of an unrealistic premise of being able to travel through time, but I felt like it was really possible after reading this! It must be! And the characters were so real to me, I wanted to go out for dinner and wine with them and learn more about their story. It made me laugh, it made me cry. I want everyone I know, and everyone I don't know, to read this! It is a must. My favorite book of all time changes, so I'm sure I'll find more to add to the list!

I love reading, I love the escape, the journey, the lessons, the ideas and creativity you witness through someone else's words and imagination. I love celebrating how something goes into writing smoething and going through the process to get it on a shelf for me to read. I love going to the library and leaving with my arms loaded with books, even the ones that smell like dust and mildew. I love going to a bookstore and getting lost for hours in all the different sections and titles. What would we do without books?!! They are as important to me as music, maybe even more so. Maybe it's a tie...

6 comments:

Colorsonmymind said...

I love Bill Bryson-man he cracks me up-I have shed many happy tears reading him.

I also cried reading my sisters keeper.

I will have to check out the others that I haven't read, as it seems we have similar taste.

XO

Becca said...

Yes, Yes, and Yes! Just like you, I have a tough time choosing between the two loves of my life (other than my family of course)- books or music, music or books. Thankfully, I get to have a lot of both.

Also Yes, Yes, Yes, to My Sister's Keeper - I gasped out loud at the end, and then cried buckets; and The Time Traveler's Wife - also a weeper, but a keeper.

If you haven't already, read Broken For You by Stephanie Kallos, and The Whole World Over, by Julia Glass. My newest "favorites."

Loved the post!

kelly rae said...

i'm right there with you on Eat,Pray,Love. i keeping thinking of her friend telling her to "tell the truth. tell the truth. tell the truth." and i get shivers every time. very powerful book.

Rachel said...

Great list Melissa, I haven't read any of those books so thank you, you have just given me my next reading list. Have a great wkend honey

Maggie May said...

Oh my gosh, M, it is so fated that we would find eachother. I re-read the Alanna books every summer, I hate The Old Man and the Sea, and I am reading and writing about History of Love for my thesis!!!! I am going to have to find some time to do this meme soon. xoxo

liz elayne lamoreux said...

okay i have to check out the alanna books - right up my alley.
love this list! love reading about all these books and what they mean to you.

sorry i have stopped by in so long. i am thinking about you...