Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The journey is the destination

untitled by Rosemary found on Flickr

There seems to be a lot of energy and contemplation running around my blogging world this week. Posts about not taking things for granted, for living in the moment and being present. Posts about our bodies, about being completely accepting of ourselves no matter what, loving ourselves unconditionally and treating ourselves as well as we treat others. Lots of big thoughts, real thoughts, about life and living it to its fullest. It all leaves me in awe, really. Of what incredible women you all are, and how amazing life is.
My mind has been thinking a lot about how there is no destination that I should be striving for - that life is about just enjoying the journey and seeing that as my destination instead. I've spent so much of my life waiting for something to happen to fix things or make it all better, using that as an excuse not to act, but I'm not going to do that anymore. I struggle trying to find the balance between accepting myself and my life as it is right now and finding a way to grow into the woman I want to become. At what point do you stop saying its ok and start making a change? At what point do you stop trying to change things and just be?
I'm going to keep learning how to love myself as authentically as possible. I'm going to keep learning how to stay in the moment and be fully present at every opportunity. I'm going to continue to do my Grateful Friday lists and appreciate everything I have and the blessings I continue to receive. And I'm going to make sure my loved ones know how much they mean to me and how lucky I am to have each of them in my life, all the time!! And of course, take it one day at a time...don't want to put too much pressure on myself all at once, now do I!!
Go read Meg's post and Ruby's too, Rachel's and Liz's and Michelle's posts for more thoughts on all of this. Just by talking about these issues, we are all making it easier to understand and to voice what we are experiencing, it's amazing stuff!!

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Thank you for you support on my post.
As soon as we put it out there it stops being a worry for us. And we are women who need to feel, talk, experience, and live to love.

staying in the moment is crucial, my fave songs at moment is Sugababes, 'Caught in the moment', it makes me cry, it makes me smile or just say
'yes, I am, entirely, in the moment.

Sometome you have to plan, but as long as you can chill, enjoy, love, the moment, planning becomes almost obsolete.

Enjoy your moment, plans can be for the future.

Colorsonmymind said...

Oh I am with you.....I love the photo and the thoughts....

Grassroots social worker said...

My blog had similar thoughts today. I titled it: "Ode to my female tribe." We women, do moments, so well together.

Madeleine said...

Abosolutely. the journey is often the best bit, i find.
don't you remember as a child ejoying the frive far more than the final destination..
i think that it's so important to rmember that THIS is our life, this is THE experience and whatever comes next is just another step along the path.
so hard to do, though, i know as i am so guilty of this. always projecting forward and missing the here and now.

you are such a strong woman, and knowing yourself goes hand in hand. i think your priorities are just as they should be.

xx

Jennifer S. said...

yes, yes, yes. Excellent words!

meghan said...

I'll keep trying if you will - and maybe we can keep on reminding each other when we forget! Love to you xoox

kerry said...

this is such an incredibly refreshing and uplifting post. thanks for writing it, because it has mattered to me today. i needed to be urged to be present. your blog is beautiful and so are your words.