Friday, September 01, 2006

Grateful Friday Special Edition

Vancouver Skyline from Stanley Park by canihavemorespamplease on flickr

It was a year ago yesterday R and I moved to Vancouver. Crazy to think I've actually been in one place for a year. The last time I did that was before I went away to university, 12 years ago! Whoa. I thought it would be nice to make a list of the things here I'm grateful for, to mark the occasion and to celebrate our home. A place we love.

The things I am grateful for living in Vancouver:
  • our wonderful flat (our first home)
  • our new haunts - Hilary's, the Boathouse, Thai Away Home, Vera's, and others
  • the West End - being near the beach and Stanley park
  • Stanley Park
  • all the beaches
  • the mountains surrounding us
  • the smell of the sea
  • the rain (some of the time anyways!)
  • our new friends
  • great patios
  • Granville Island
  • the seawall
  • being so close to everything
  • R's company helping him out and their new workshop
  • my job for helping us pay the bills and introducing me to Silvina
  • 2 IKEAs
  • gelato
  • long walks
  • everyone being health conscious (obsessed maybe?)
  • organic living
  • the surrounding areas of Vancouver Island and the Okanagan, Whistler, the Sunshine coast, and more we have yet to discover
  • the simple transit system
  • a higher standard of living
  • the artistic community
  • tennis and golf and running
  • yoga rocks!- clothing, classes, lifestyle
  • how happy it makes us both
  • this beautiful summer (so much sun!)
  • bbqs on the beach just down the hill from our house
  • being able to walk to the beach
  • skiing 25 minutes away (something we will try this year)
  • snow if you want it, but no bitter cold winters like I'm used to
  • our landlords and all their help
  • a large multi-cultural population, so many languages, so many different perspectives
  • so many opportunities
  • the main library
  • the False Creek ferries
  • so many restaurants to choose from
  • Commercial Drive, Kits, Cole Harbour, UBC Endowment lands, Jericho, Chinatown

Sure, not everything is perfect. I worry about all the homeless people and the problems with drugs. Some of the locals aren't the nicest people in the world or the easiest to get to know. It is hard to meet new people. And when we want to buy a house, we'll probably have to sell our first born, but it is our home and I have never been as comfortable or as content as I am here. And the fact that we want to build a future here is always a good sign with me. Here' s to our first of many years here!!!

4 comments:

Becca said...

Vancouver is on my list of top 10 places to visit, and your wonderfully written list almost makes me feel as if I've been there! It sounds like a lovely place, and one to definintely be grateful for.

I love your grateful fridays! They always make me smile :)

meghan said...

hooray, hooray hooray for a place to call home!! I just realized that I have been living here for THREE YEARS last week - yikers! No wonder my feet are getting itchy! It's nice, though, isn't it fellow traveller - to have a place to unpack your bags!! xoxo

liz elayne lamoreux said...

i love that you are able to find so much gratitude. such an inspiration!

(and two ikeas??? wow!)

jojo said...

oh M... I know exactly why you love it there. i dream of living there one day too. kits an commercial rock - i completely concur... and i just love stanly park! kudos to your ventures there and congrats on your one year anniversary!