Friday, September 15, 2006

Grateful Friday!!!

R and I at the Great Ocean Road, Australia

I'm still reeling from my good news from last night and from handing in my notice today. I was pretty excited and nervous last night, I couldn't get to sleep. Like a little kid waiting for Christmas or something! I woke up early with R this morning (his alarm goes off at 6am!) and couldn't get back to sleep, so went out and had a coffee and journal session before work. I felt sick to my stomach about handing in my notice, but it went so smoothly, I could barely believe it. He just said ok. That was it, seriously! My other boss was a bit sad actually- because he likes me but also because it means a headache for him in the weeks to come. Oh well!! I'm free! Got my last pay check and had lunch with my favorites, just waiting for wine time before I let everyone know what's going on. I love the look on their faces - such surprise. It's great!!

My new job is as the administrative assistant in the Programs Department for Arts Umbrella, a non-profit art school for kids on Granville Island (one of my favorite places in Vancouver and so close to my home as well!). My yoga class is around the corner and my favorite art store is across the street- could be trouble! They have visual and media arts, theatre, music, and dance. My job is to work directly for the Program Director and the Program assistants, plus liase and work with all the instructors (like 100 of them!!), plus numerous other tasks. It sounds like I may actually be busy!! Imagine that. I know it can't be all the time, but I won't be sitting at a desk trying to come up with something to do for 8 hours a day anymore. I know that and I am ready for it too. I'm ready for all of it. I get to start the first week of October, so still get my two weeks holiday. If I had been offered it when I went through the interview process, I wouldn't have been able to take as much holiday - so it couldn't have worked out better. Sigh...I love life.

This week I am Grateful for:

  • my new job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (like I said, I'm pretty excited) see previous post
  • being on holiday officially in one hour!!!!!
  • R's parents arriving on Sunday for their 3 week visit
  • getting to show off our home and city to someone new
  • R being so happy for me and doing the dance of joy together, for having him in my life
  • Arts Umbrella
  • surviving this job for a whole year (longest I've ever been in one job, no joke. No, I've never been fired either- yes, my life is strange)
  • my little niece being healthy
  • the new Razorlight album
  • "Don't Feel like Dancing" by the Scissor Sisters - I boogie to it everytime it comes on my iPod
  • BBC Radio One
  • sweet potato knish's
  • the sun coming out again
  • finally having some rain and things green-ing up a bit
  • Fall coming
  • getting to snuggle up in bed to stay warm
  • Oyster Bay wine
  • how happy I feel, how relieved, how excited
  • the Universe and its amazing ways (put it out there and watch it come to life)
  • my new creative outlet (see previous previous post)
  • getting to really clean our flat tomorrow
  • this wonderful community I've discovered and for this boring job giving me the chance to find it!
  • change

We're not leaving town and access to our computer until next Wednesday, so I will still be posting and reading blogs. I hope you all have a great weekend!! I know I'm going to go out and celebrate!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I am so thrilled for you melissa, the universe has really come through for you. Everything does come in it's own time. Oh it is going to get so much better for you now. Sending a huge congratulations hug via broadband

Natalie said...

I love reading your blog m, it's so heartfelt and exciting. Handing in your notice is the best part of a job which you know is constricting you and which has no point for you. So congrats from me, and thank you for linking me, and thank you again for your inspiring writings!

Anonymous said...

I am almost ridiculously happy for you...I actually have tears in my eyes.

Congratulations SO MUCH!!!