Monday, June 19, 2006

Weekend away

Me giving my little sis a pedi on the deck
What a weekend! Moments to remember include a hot tub with my R under the stars, how big that kitchen was, giving my sis a pedicure on the deck of the "Big House" (as we call it), helping her with the little things she struggling with only having one functional hand at the moment (like putting up her hair, helping her put hand cream on the good hand, tying her running shoes), sitting outside watching Shakespeare, picking daisy from the yard, G&T's, being able to be a big sister and be helpful. R was in heaven, watching all the football on a huge 42 inch screen with surround sound. I got to sit out on the deck and read my book, visit with my sis and just enjoy the silence. I forget how loud and crowded it is here in the city, it was hard to sleep the first night without the hum of cars in the background!



view from the deck of the Big House

We got to visit with some old friends of my family's as well, who my sister works with at the private school, so it was good to catch up with them too. I used to babysit their now 16 and 17 year olds- too funny hanging out with them now that they're big. The play did happen outside, which was divine. I do adore Shakespeare and the students performing were hilarious!

the hot tub- what a brilliant spot!!

The only negative moment was when I, stupidly, stood on the scale and saw how much I weigh! It's been a couple years probably since I've been on a scale, so this was quite a shock. So much so, I've spent the day looking up fitness centres in my area, trying to decide which one to join to get my ass in gear again. I knew I'd gained some weight, but that was a wake up call! R stepped on it as well and he's lost too much weight- can we say jealous? He's a string bean, tall and lean, so we're opposites. Our meals will be interesting, trying to cater for our new needs- one trying to slim down, one trying to bulk up. I'm so used to being a traveler, who doesn't have much money for food and luxuries like ice cream and cookies, and who doesn't sit at a desk 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. We do play tennis and I walk to work everyday, but it's time to start taking care of myself, to start believing I can do it and just go for it. I'll probably be using this blog as a place to help me work through my issues with committing to my own physical health- anyone else find they are self-sabotaging towards their own needs?

6 comments:

jojo said...

glad your weekend was relaxing. it looked divine. and I just love watching shakespeare too! kiddies and all.

don't let the scale get you down - it is just a number. i struggle with the weight thing too AND sabatoging my goals. i'm realizing food is a comfort for me (oooo.. ouch! did i just say that outloud?). i've been buying less processed food and eating more fresh fruit. i think feeling healthy is key. doing what you enjoy to feel strong. i'm guaging progress with my endurance (and my clothes). also with less running and more brisk walking at an incline on the treadmill has been burning more calories and allowing me to read more (both good things).

good luck. your passion will help you through this new path i am sure of that!

Kathleen said...

M:

Good luck in the weight loss. You'll rock it.And don't stress if it doesn't fall off...you're just lovely as you are! Really!!

P.s. your hair looks super long in the pic! Has it really been a year since we had dinner at your parent's house?! Egad!

Much love from this Coast to your Coast!
K

Jennifer S. said...

gorgeous views, looks like a heavenly place to relax...

I'm really loving my lunch hour walks to get a bit more fit. So great to be able to walk to work. I wish. Would love the exercise and fuel cost savings!

Deirdre said...

What a wonderful weekend. The views are gorgeous. Thanks for visiting my blog and for your words of encouragement.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, what a VIEW! Thanks so much for sharing, babe.

I really want to read your words on self-sabotage too, because YES I have this problem too...not only with weight, but just with taking care of myself.

Madeleine said...

What fantastic pictures!! It looks so beautiful and relaxing. It took my breath away. it looks a bit like some of the Scottish landscape.Wow!
Don't worry about the weight. You're On it anyway, now!

So pleased you had a fantastic time away :)