Thursday, June 15, 2006

Poetry Thursday

Germany has gone Football crazy!
image from ClausM on Flickr

My poem this week is from Michael Ondaatje, one of Canada's most treasured poets and writers. I love his book The English Patient, even more than I love the movie. The poem I've chosen is written in his capacity as a father writing for his daughter, which I found quite fitting for this weekend and Father's Day. You can find the poem here. And go here for more Poetry Thursday entries and inspirations.

Feeling much better today- maybe I just needed to clear my head yesterday or something. I've had a lot to do at work, which has definitely helped and is such a gift. And England won their football game today, so my R will be quite happy, even though the team didn't play very well. It's all about the result for this first round- let's hope they get it together soon! I couldn't believe how emotional I was during the game- I got goosebumps when they came on the field and when I saw pictures of all the flags around the stadium. I was even ready to shed a tear or two when it looked like they might lose- what is going on?? On the other hand, I love it!! England is my second home, where I've felt more at home sometimes than I do here in Canada, so I'm totally behind them. Maybe some of R's Englishness is finally started to seep into my system- I'd love to have an accent! Or at least for our kids too!

3 comments:

Frankie said...

Wonderful poem! Thanks so much for sharing it!! SO glad you're feeling better!!!

Jennifer S. said...

great poem!

Madeleine said...

Great poem, I seem to remember experiencing something similar with my parents, as I'm sure we all did.

I've just discovered your blog through Susannah.It's always nice to find other lovely sites :)