Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Dreams of Bicycles


Happiness, it seems to me, consists of two things:
first, in being where you belong,
and second - and best- in comfortably going through everyday life,
that is, having had a good night's sleep and not being hurt by new shoes.
- Theodor Fontaine-
Summer has arrived! It is hot and sunny and the sky is so blue, it's delicious. I'm not a big fan of the heat, but it's not too humid, so it's manageable. I love how the foreigners who are here experiencing their first Canadian summer are so shocked by the heat- like it's impossible or something! Too funny! The world has such a skewed view of my country sometimes, but I'm sure I have one of other places as well.
I spent the whole weekend outside, at the beach with our friends, lounging on the grass over a picnic, and riding our rental bikes around Stanley Park. I was riding the bike in the pic above- I absolutely loved it! I can't remember the last time I was on a bike and it was heaven. It felt so free, like I was a kid again. We're going to start looking for second hand bikes to buy, just to have to cruise around, nothing too heavy. We live in such an ideal spot, surrounded by the seawall and other quiet roads, so why not!
R started working nights this week (7pm-2am), to help his company get a job finished. It's good in the sense that it's pretty easy work for him and he gets paid extra, but I do not like having to spend the whole night on my own. After being at work all day, where I barely have many real conversations, it's so strange to go home and have no one to talk to. Luckily we get to have dinner together or I'd worry about losing my mind! I'm looking forward to having some time on my own, mostly to remember that I can do it and enjoy it, and also to break my bad habit of being so completely dependent on him for so many things. I've become a bit clingy, I still worry he will have to go home or something, so live in the mindset that everything is temporary. Not good. Going to yoga class, or out for a walk with a friend, or to a cafe to write in my journal alone- things I can do and still have a healthy relationship with my wonderful man. Because of our traveling and our situation with visas and not knowing where we were going to end up, we are very close, almost internal sometimes. Then again, we love spending time together, so we don't even notice! But, now that we are settling down, we can both start to explore our passions and try new things and it doesn't always have to be together. It will only be good for us and give us new outlets for creativity and things to share with each other when we get home. These are all new things for me, after being so transient for such a long time. I know some people would kill for so much time alone, but I'm ready to have too much time with people for a change!!

5 comments:

Laini Taylor said...

That bike IS fantastic! Now all it needs is a basket on front to put your journal and a picnic blanket in. I haven't ridden a bike in a few years, since my last one got stolen, but it does sound appealing. And, enjoy some solitary evenings -- that many in a row doesn't sound too good, but the occasional night home alone is a little bit of a treat. Jim's always home by bedtime, though. Hope R. doesn't have to do that too long!

Madeleine said...

That bike is great. Funny I was talkin this weekend about buying a bike for myself. Seeing as I live in ther perfect place for it, I have no excuse. You've inspired me to do it. I imagine the feeling of freedom. I know exactly what you mean. Bit like dancing and letting go.
You will adjust to spending time on your own, even though I know you're not relishing the idea.
It's difficult to not be clingy and wanting to spend all your time together when you have such a great relationship and get on so well.
Hopefully it won't be for too long.
You've always got your blog-it's my new boyfriend. :)

Madeleine said...

That bike is great. Funny I was talkin this weekend about buying a bike for myself. Seeing as I live in ther perfect place for it, I have no excuse. You've inspired me to do it. I imagine the feeling of freedom. I know exactly what you mean. Bit like dancing and letting go.
You will adjust to spending time on your own, even though I know you're not relishing the idea.
It's difficult to not be clingy and wanting to spend all your time together when you have such a great relationship and get on so well.
Hopefully it won't be for too long.
You've always got your blog-it's my new boyfriend. :)

Rachel said...

I crave time on my own, and when I get it, I sit there and say
"Well what the hell do I do now".
Crazy. I agree with mads, you've got the bloggerhood now. Oh and we are non-judgmental.

boho girl said...

i want this adorable bike!!!