Monday, April 24, 2006

Running for myself


Well, I did it- the 10km Vancouver Sun Run!! I actually ran 8.5km of the 10km and it felt great! I didn't expect to do nearly that much and was so proud of myself. I'm hobbling around today with blisters and sore muscles, but they feel like well earned war wounds. It was a gorgeous sunny day, R and I were joined by 50, 000 of our closest friends for a jog around our beautiful city. The official start was at 9am, but because of the amount of people, we didn't even cross the start line until 10:10am!! Plenty of runners had finished before we even started. We don't know our times yet, but I think I did it in under 90 minutes. I was absolutely amazed and in awe of the number of people, and from how many different walks of life they came from. What a treat to be a part of something like that! It was my birthday present to myself- to give my body a goal and an achievement, to show that I could commit to something, and to just laugh in the face of the big 3-0! I could've trained more, I could've worked harder, but I did what I did and I'm proud of myself. Well done!

We didn't even have time to shower or change before we had to head to the airport to meet my brother-in-law, who was here for a layover on his way to Taiwan. He changed his flight to spend some time with us and in Vancouver. I was nervous, having never really spent much time alone with him before, but it turned out to be a pleasant surprise all around! With my blisters, we were a bit limited in our activities, but we got to show off our home and walked along the beach and had a beer out on a patio on Granville island, watching all the boats and kayaks float by. It was gorgeous! He took us out for dinner to a great restaurant around the corner from our flat, wonderful food, lovely company, and a view to soak up. We could watch the sun setting over the ocean right from our table. R and I expected to be a write off after doing the run, but it all worked out splendidly! And I totally see why my little sis is so happy- he's a sweetie!

Haven't had time to do my Sunday Scribblings yet, hope to get to it soon, but I love how so many posts refer to the movie Chocolat in some way- how amazing is that film!!? One of my favorites for sure.

5 comments:

jojo said...

congrats congrats congrats! How fun. And what an accomplishment! I have only limited my runs to the confines of my gym as of late, but a 10K is one of my goals... ahem... although I am well past the 3-0 mark. Oh, and I miss Vancouver as I am sure everyone gets.

Wishing your blisters and muscles a quick recovery!

Susannah Conway said...

YAY!! well done you! what a fantastic achievement - you deserve to be splendidly gorgeously proud of yourself. you earned every one of those blisters - they are indeed your war wounds :-)
Sx

Letha Sandison said...

Well done you!!! MAJOR cangrats!!!!! You deserve a reward, treat yourself!!!

boho girl said...

woohoo!!!

you go girlfriend! so, so proud of and thrilled for you.

now go eat some chocolate.

;)

meghan said...

Yay, you! Well done! I'm DREADING my run, but you've inspired me! (My friend and I are signing up for a half marathon - I think we're nuts) well done, you!