Thursday, April 13, 2006

Poetry Thursday/ Grateful Thursday!

After Awhile

After a while you learn the subtle difference
Between holding a hand and chaining a soul,

And you learn that love doesn't mean leaning
And company doesn't mean security,

And you begin to learn that kisses aren't contracts
And presents aren't promises

And you begin to accept your defeats
With your head up and your eyes open,

With the grace of a woman,
Not the grief of a child

And you learn to build all your roads on today,
Because tomorrow's ground is too uncertain for plans
and futures have a way of falling down in mid-flight.

After awhile you learn that even sunshine
Burns if you get too much

So you plant your own garden and decorate your own soul,
In stead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers

And you learn that you really can endure...
That you really are strong
And you really do have worth,
and you learn and learn...
With every good bye you learn.

Veronica Shoffstall 1971

I think someone has probably already posted this poem, but it is one of my all time favorites. It always finds a way to speak to me, no matter what mood I'm in. I've given it to many a girlfriend as a present and now share it with you! I love the line about decorating your own soul...wow.

Since its a short work week and I still don't have a computer at home, I'm going to do my Grateful friday list today instead!
I am grateful for:
  • a short work week!!! love long weekends!
  • mangos
  • my new banner on my blog!
  • reading this book this week - Love SARK!!!
  • my R for making me laugh when I really needed too
  • getting over my cold quite quickly
  • my colourful umbrella- it's raining again
  • time this weekend to get our flat in order, put up our new things
  • pay day today!!
  • getting to go shopping for clothes and stuff just for me
  • going to get my haircut finally
  • bagel, banana and peanut butter sandwiches
  • Easter candy and chocolate- yummy
  • getting to talk on the phone to my 4 year old twin nieces- so cute and so funny!
  • looking through our travel photos, all the memories flooding back
  • a change in perspective
  • some serious reading time this weekend, watching the rain outside
  • Bucky getting booted off Idol - finally!
  • "The OC" being on tonight - I'm such a sucker for cheesy teenage drama
  • meeting new blog friends - Maggie and JoJo
  • Debbie the Accountant coming into work today - so much more fun when she's here!

I hope everyone has a lovely Easter weekend, celebrating in some way that spring is finally here!! Go see some flowers, eat some candy, watch the kids playing in the park, something! I probably won't be back till Monday...can't wait to have our own computer. Soon!

9 comments:

Endment said...

thank you for sharing this poem... I had been searching for something like this in my collection but couldn't find it. So glad to have this one!

Maggie May said...

M!!! I'm so glad to have met you too, and I can't wait to get to know more about you. I hope you have a wonderful long weekend and get fun stuff shopping for yourself (isn't that the best?). Also, the poem you chose is gorgeous and really got me. ~Maggie

P.S. I had greek yogurt w/ honey today and thought of you.

Susannah Conway said...

what an incredible poem, so powerful - planting your own garden - yes! this is what it's all about isn't it.... thank you for the comment you left on my new little blog - glad to have found you! Sx

liz elayne lamoreux said...

i have long loved this poem, but I never knew who wrote it. I am so glad that you shared this today. I needed the reminder of these words that once soothed my teenage heart. and again, today, they do that again.

Anonymous said...

I loved this poem! Thanks so much for sharing it--I really do feel as though you gave me a gift. :)

Your gratitude list is wonderful too...enjoy your Easter weekend!

Letha Sandison said...

What a wonderful and uplifting poem and post!! I feel like I was given a gift by reading it.

Happy Easter!!!!

Laini Taylor said...

I hope you have a lovely Easter weekend too! Sounds like you've got one planned. I laughed at your American Idol comment (I agree) -- and love that you have mangos at the top of your list. My favorite favorite!

meghan said...

I carried this poem around with me in my notebooks all through high school and university. It really made a big difference to me. Thank you for sharing it here!!

kelly rae said...

with the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child. yes, that speaks to me. i'm learning this, now.