Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Birthday Reflections


It's here, my 30th birthday! I am a big fan of birthdays, love celebrating them and sharing them with others. I don't want to end up trying to hide them as I get older- I think it's one day a year when you get to be completely selfish and celebrated!! Anyone else agree or disagree?? I thought I'd take a minute to reflect on what my birthday has been and is to me.

I share my birthday with:
my aunt Susie (that's us in the pic above! couldn't find a better person to share the day with!)
Carol Burnett
Jet Li
JJ Audubon (the bird guy)

This day in history was the Chernobyl Disaster in 1986. (not a good one)

My horoscope for this year can be found here.

A few birthday memories:

When I was really little, I used to tell everyone it was my birthday and ask where my present was. One woman (who worked with my dad) actually went out and bought me something because she felt guilty!

We used to have our birthday parties in the big dining room on the floor on a bed sheet, like a picnic.

My 6th birthday was a disaster! I invited my whole class over and I ended up in tears several times. I think I even hit my friend in the head with a lawn dart! And those boys- they were almost as competitive as me! I couldn't leave anyone out, so there was over 20 of us.

My 12th birthday was brilliant- pizza party with my girls. We ate delicious cheesecake and it ended up all over the table and our faces from laughing so hard.

My 23rd birthday was my first overseas, in York, England. I was living with a great group of friends and we celebrated it for three days. Pot luck and presents, night out dancing, and a picnic in the park. It was divine! I had never had so much attention and I loved it!

My 27th birthday was my first I celebrated with R. We were in Melbourne, and I ended up in tears at the table. I was so scared that I was wasting my life by not feeling like I'd accomplished anything so far and so happy that we had found each other at the same time. I couldn't stop crying for hours!

30 is going to be a breeze! I'm happy to be out of my tumultuous 20s and into a new decade, a new perspective. I have no regrets about how I've lived my life till now- I've seen the world, graduated from uni, made incredible friends all over the place, found and fallen in love with an amazing, wonderful man, and we're settling down into a life of our own in a beautiful place. I am going to continue to become more creative and explore where that takes me. I'm going to become more active and take good care of my body and my mind. I'm going to continue to my search for work I enjoy. I'm going to ask for what I want sometimes, as well as for what I need. I'm going to continue to learn how to let go, to accept what I cannot change, and to love myself more everyday. I hope my thirties will be filled with children (ours I hope!) and travels and a new home one day, maybe even some visitors from overseas, a relationship that becomes a marriage and continues to amaze me daily, and a strong sense of self and unconditional love for myself. (Not asking a lot am I!!)

Our landlady (and friend) and her son (he's 8) made me chocolate cupcakes as a present- too cute!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A million happy birthdays to you, M! Let the flowering and the blooming continue in your life. :)

Shari Sherman said...

I've just stumbled onto your Creative Stumblings and I'm glad I did, to wish you a happy birthday! You sound like you are in a wonderful mindset to embrace your 30s. Speaking from someone who is in her late 30s, I believe it is a decade of accomplishments, of going after what it is you really want, making your life as you please, but still swirled with the sense of discovery and wonder of your 20s. Onward and upward, girl!

Laini Taylor said...

What great birthday memories! Blessings on the coming decade. May it be filled with all the things you wish for!

Letha Sandison said...

HAPPY 30TH!!!!!!!

I read yesterday that 30 is the new 21. I liked that :)

I hope your 30th year is your best year yet and that all your Birthday wishes come true!!

liz elayne lamoreux said...

the week has flown by and i have missed your birthday.
Happy, happy 30th year to you. May this year be full of so many moments of joy, peace, silliness, growth, and love.
Hope your weekend is incredible!

clairehelene7 said...

I hope you had a great birthday-- thanks for the note on my blog! It's a great time of year to be born! I love that you are so pro birthday-- I am too. It's the only way to do it. Have a great weekend!