Thursday, April 20, 2006

Poetry Thursday

Habitation

Marriage is not
a house or even a tent
it is before that, and colder:
The edge of the forest, the edge
of the desert the unpainted stairs
at the back where we squat
outside, eating popcorn
where painfully and with wonder
at having survived even
this far
we are learning to make fire
-Margaret Atwood-

I wanted to contribute a poem by a Canadian woman author to our Poetry Thursday Collection- Margaret Atwood is one of our better known authors. I was forced to read her books in highschool, so never really enjoyed them, but her poetry is a new discovery that I'm enjoying. I was searching for a poem about women and our uniqueness, celebrating that, but couldn't find one. Anyone have any ideas?
I've found that there are a lot of posts lately about being a woman, what that entails- all the good and bad stuff. We are pretty amazing creatures. Are we still struggling with our greatness because of the paternal origins of our society? Or is it something more internal, more invisible? I hate how hard we are on ourselves, how it's accepted for us to batter our own bodies and spirits- if someone else was doing it, it would be a catastrophe, someone would step in and stop it! But, we silently criticize ourselves, feel like we're not good enough, constantly question our actions and reactions- it's become a vicious cycle. Is there some way we can help one another to end this? Some way we can celebrate everything about ourselves, the dark and the light, and develop unconditional love for ourselves, spread it to the younger and older generations? I know I personally struggle with being anxious and a perfectionist and constantly being hard on myself, not living up to the impossibly high standards I have set just for me- no wonder I'm tired! I would never treat someone I love this way, so how can I continue to do it to the most important person in my life? And I'm not a mother or a wife yet, I can only imagine adding those titles and expectations into the mix. I don't want to end us being open and honest on here, we all go through hard days, but I want to find a way to help each of us feel safe, feel loved.
I'm at a loss for solutions, so am putting it out there for this community of brilliantly strong, artistic, magical, and authentic women to brainstorm and see what we can come up with!!! Here are some of my favorite words to get us inspired!
"Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels." - Faith Whitttlesey-
"The history of all times, and of today especially, teaches that ... women will be forgotten if they forget to think about themselves." - Louise Otto -
"The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers." -M. Scott Peck-

4 comments:

gkgirl said...

ahhhh...
margaret atwood...

sigh.

i adore her.

great choice for a poem.

and i think what you had to say
regarding women and perfectionism
and love for ourselves
and titles and expectations
was very interesting
and thought provoking.

good for you for putting it
out there!

liz elayne lamoreux said...

this is such an important,vital aspect of the journey. i wish the answers came to me easily...i do know that reaching out to each other this way...posing the questions...seeking the answers...this is our strongest asset. our willingness to open our hearts to one another.

and as to the big 3-0 looming on the horizon...i am excited too! i love that you are thinking about way to honor yourself and this big birthday (i am thinking about getting a tatoo...a small one...something that will remind me that i did make it through these hard years knowing more than i ever dreamed i would). i can't wait to hear all that you do to celebrate!

jojo said...

Hi M ~ your words are circling around in my brain. I read your post (yesterday) and then set out to search for some poetry on paper and online for your topic - there is Phenomenal Woman by Maya Angelou. In searching for more I did not come up with much. Maybe a poetry anthology themed “women” is one solution. This would be a good challenge for next Poetry Thursday, to seek out or write one. There are so many personal struggles that I have (as a woman) that do haunt me, and my accomplishments always fall by the wayside. I am sure this is due in part to growing up in a family that was rooted in those “paternal origins”. It is really difficult to unlearn. I thank you for your reminder and your inviting words in search for acceptance, celebration and solutions.

boho girl said...

well done to Margaret Atwood at such a beautiful and true description of marriage.

loved it.