Friday, April 07, 2006

Poetry Thursday/ Grateful Friday...again!

Wow, how did it get to be friday again already!? I was off sick yesterday, a day alone doing nothing, was heaven really. I am feeling better, not 100% but getting there. Looking forward to a quiet weekend, hiding from the rain, lovely.
My poem for this week comes from my aunt who is a published poet who lives in San Francisco and is currently the President of California Poets in the Schools program. I actually got to spend some time in a classroom with her a few years ago as she worked with all ages groups to do poetry exercises, it was amazing! I had never really paid much attention to poetry before, but she had/has such a love for it that it was infectious. I especially loved reading the words from all the students- kids are incredible really!! I love how they view the world. Aunt Susie and I share a birthday, so we've been kindred spirits from day one, and I hope you get a chance to read more of her stuff or even work with the CPITS people at some point. Google her name and see what else you can find! One of her poetry collections is all about Chocolate! My kind of woman.

The Longing for Coffee

- the bitter
thick taste of it against the mouth
roof, the knowing
back of the tongue.

The black steam
rising silently, damp
cup warming the fingers, cheek,
bright, the bright-
eyes opening after weeks of rain.

The lashes stick with waking salt.
Veins and passages,
blood and sound clear.
Light pulls me inside, and the taste
is the crumbling edge from the acrid binding
of a book left hidden on a high shelf.

And after such longing, there remains holding onto
the departing warmth, then only the cold and
remembered grounds.
(from her collection No Easy Light)
Now time for my Grateful friday list for this week- I am grateful for:
  • my cold getting better
  • not getting sick that often
  • having a day off totally alone
  • the warmth of spring
  • living two blocks from the beach
  • my R making dinner and tea for me and giving me cuddles when I was pooey
  • my little sis getting into the Education program
  • getting to watch the new "Pride and Prejudice" again and loving it even more!
  • that I'm finally sorting through some of my issues and having the support of my friends and Sisterhood to do it
  • my friend Shannon getting a new job!
  • vanilla roobios tea
  • that it's friday!
  • looking through the pictures from our summer with my brother and his wonderful family and my other sister's wedding and getting all teary with love
  • how well our photos turned out for the living room!
  • getting to plan more things we want for our home
  • a nice quiet weekend ahead

Thank you for all your support this week, it is much appreciated! I feel so lucky to have found such a community where I am able to deal with anything and know I've got people rooting for me.

3 comments:

jojo said...

vanilla roobios tea ... ditto yum!
have a great weekend! you are so lucky to live near the ocean. cheers!

Maggie May said...

I love days alone; I think that sometimes it's just so nice to be in your own personal bubble, inside your own thoughts. And I LOVE the poem--your aunt's words are beautiful read aloud, describing coffee so sumptuously. I'm loving the Greek yogurt w/ honey too, savoring it before I go back home and have none :(. In a little over a week, I'm off to the southern coast of Spain, Morocco (Marrakesh, Essaouria, and Casablanca), and France (possibly Switzerland too)!! It's going to be a lovely break before the stress of exams. Feel better, and keep up the great writing!

meghan said...

hi there - I've been struggling to keep up with blogs for the past few weeks - I've come here though, luckily, to get to read that lovely poem. How inspiring to have a poet in the family! I'm jealous.