Thursday, March 23, 2006

Brainstorming (or a stormy brain?)


I arise in the morning, torn between
a desire to improve the world and
a desire to enjoy the world.
This makes it hard to plan the day.
-EB White-
This is what my head feels like this week...blocked and all fuzzy and I don't even have a cold!! Too much thinking going on! But like the photo above from our year in New Zealand, beauty is everywhere, no matter what's going on right in front of me! I went for a lovely walk on my lunch break today- its warming up out there and felt very spring-like. It helped that it wasn't raining either! It's amazing how clear things feel when I'm walking, looking at the flowers everywhere, listening to the children playing and laughing in the playground, breathing (relatively) fresh air. I needed it. I've been having a hard week, the kind that seem to creep up on me every so often. I feel a huge weight on my shoulders, one that's full of frustration, fear, anger, and annoyance...mostly directed towards my job. I try not to talk about work much on here because (a) don't want to get fired for doing it while I'm actually at work, and (b)I don't want to go into the negative abyss that wants to pull me in. The more I dwell on it, the worse I feel.
I'm very lucky to have a job, one that's helped us survive while R was waiting for his papers to come through, and one that allows me time on the computer to do this, meet you all, read blogs, and create. I have a "Good Enough" job, as Barbara Sher calls it, and want to try and be grateful for that. But it's hard, especially when I'm tired or hormonal or otherwise emotionally unstable. All my anger towards the world and my own life comes out against this area of my life, the one thing I have never felt confident or excited about. Ever since I graduated university, I've wanted to find a job that I enjoy, one where I can contribute something meaningful, and not just go to work and waste 40 hours of my week. I know so many people who hate their jobs, who suffer through it every week to meet their immediate needs, and I always wonder how we can change things so everyone can go to a job that excites them, means something to them. Obviously I haven't solved it yet! Maybe I'll just start having babies and ignore having to make a decision awhile longer.

I've realized I need to have goals in my life, things to strive for- however minor or simple. As long as I can see that I've accomplished something, I feel like it was worth it. (Not quite as simple as say brushing my teeth twice a day, but you know what I mean!) I also need to be learning something new- whether its facts about something or how to do something, it doesn't matter. My brain needs the exercise regularly! Maybe I can do a course online while I'm sitting here, something that really interests me or may help me get a better job down the road. Or maybe I could be doing some freelance writing or something- for travel magazines or youth magazines. Scary to even say it out loud, really, but I have experienced so much and I want to share it somehow. Or find a way to work with young girls and building their self-esteem. (Check this site out!! What a great idea!) I would like to handle this part of my life with more grace and gratitude than I have been, and to find a way to get a more positive experience out of it. Then maybe the feeling of dread that comes over me every so often will go away. Everything happens for a reason, so maybe I always end up in monotonous jobs because I'm supposed to be doing something else at the same time. Building a foundation while I have the security of a regular pay check. Any ideas?? Know any good online courses or websites that you love that I should check out?

5 comments:

meghan said...

hi there -

i am actually commenting on your previous post - I've had a thought! What about 'Sunday Scribbles?' I'm going back to my site to post something about this to see what people think... hmmm... thanks for the inspiration!!!

Laini Taylor said...

Hi M, I really empathize with all you've said here, and it makes me feel grateful that I've always known exactly what I wanted to do, even if I didn't know how to do it -- but I do meet a lot of people with big creative energy that is urging them to do something, but they're not sure where to turn with it. All I can say is soul-searching and exploration of all the things out there to do. You've mentioned your desire to write about your experiences and also to help young girls with their self-esteem. How can you combine these two things? I've heard of innovative things other women have started -- Portland has a Rock n Roll camp for girls, to give girls self-esteem in the male-dominated world of rock music. Hm, how about journaling workshops for girls? I think a lot of bloggers would be interested in something like that -- all of us know the fragility of adolescent girls' self-esteem and wish we could do something to help. Anyway, food for thought. I wish you the best in your quest. As someone who went through a lot of lean years trying to carve out a creative niche and be a self-employed artist, I can say, it's been worth it!

Claudia said...

I know where you´re at and I know how hard it is to make changes for the better. A friend of mine told me today "sometimes you have to jump first, before you can see the safety net": I know what she means and I am feeling more and more like jumping. The "boring" job just to have a pay cheque just isn´t doing it for me so I´m looking for ways to pep it up and if that doesn´t work then I´ll be leaving it behind. We should respect ourselves enough to believe that we are worth more than that.

boho girl said...

Sweet M,
I think you have loads of wonderful ideas here.

I was where you are for years and years. Opening up this company was a wonderful door for me.

What about gathering young daughters of your coworkers for a journaling workshop?? You can start there...and then if you enjoy it and they enjoy it, word of mouth will spread and it could be as BIG as you want, really.

Something is definitely stirring within you. I can feel it from here.

liz elayne lamoreux said...

Oh M...I want to just invite you to sit with these feelings...sit in the quiet...and see what comes up for you.
You have so much excitement and energy...I love that you are ready to jump off the cliff and extend your wings.
Your post has caused me to reflect on the ways that I can relate to you so much here. I have lots of ideas swirling in my head right now...so much so that I am not even sure what to do with it all. But the beauty of it is I know that I want to do SOMETHING. And so do you...
(and as I enjoy a cup of tea here sitting on my couch with my laptop, I wish I could say, "come on over! let's brainstorm together." but alas, not today...