Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Putting it into perspective



This is Clara Hughes, a Canadian gold medalist in speed skating and my new hero! She has donated almost $10,000 of her own money to the charity Right to Play...how amazing is that? To take her fame and attention from winning a medal doing something she loves and turn it into something bigger, give back to those who have so little. Joey Cheek, the American speed skater started off this brilliant idea, so my hat goes off to him as well. And so many people have joined in their giving, keep it coming! Check out the site to see what its all about. It makes my heart ache to think of kids out there who don't get a chance to play, a backyard to run around in, a playground to explore. I'm going to find a way to help them and to help kids in my immediate area, as well. I'm not sure how yet, but I'll keep you posted!

I wasn't sure what I was going to write about today, so many things swirling around in my head, so many avenues to explore. But their generosity just hit me and made me realize how lucky I really am...to live in Canada, to have the opportunities I do. I am often overwhelmed by all of the choice and end up getting frustrated, taking it for granted. It's time to be grateful instead. I'm having a crappy day at work, but something like this puts it all in perspective. I'm so lucky to have a job at all, even if it isn't where I want to be forever. I'm a worrier by nature, very familiar with anxiety, but when I think of what these kids in far away countries (or even here) have to deal with on a day to day basis, my issues pale in comparison. Not to take anything away from my own life, but I think some perspective might help me stay in the moment more often. One of my goals for 2006 is to live in the moment- its much harder than I ever imagined! But such a gift when it does happen. I have become so much more aware of when I am not paying attention to the present and that's the first step, right?

I had a great visit this weekend with my friend from home, from Nova Scotia. My Love played tour guide while I was at work and showed her the seawall and beach near our house. I loved how she was in awe of the view! We rented a car and went up to Whistler for the day. Its a gorgeous place and going to be absolutely brilliant when the Olympics come in 2010. You can ski right into the village, take off your skis and walk into the restaurant to have some lunch...how cool is that?!! It made R and want to learn how to snowboard or ski, something neither of us have ever tried before. My home town of Windsor, Nova Scotia has a ski hill, but it was more of a speed bumb compared to anything I see around here! We took her to IKEA as well, they don't have one out there, so got to go play designers for the morning. LOVE that store. (Our whole flat is full of their stuff, as we moved in back in October with two backpacks after traveling off and on for the past three years. It was classic how we had to wait for hours on the first day for the delivery to arrive, couldn't even make a cup of tea or anything!! Too funny!! I love my life!)

Looking forward to Amazing Race starting again tonight, reading this, and having a date with myself after work today, sipping tea and writing in my journal.

1 comment:

liz elayne lamoreux said...

i love how this post gives a glimpse into your generous soul and the happiness you feel about where you are in your life. fantastic! I am a big IKEA fan too! And am equally impressed by the generosity of these athletes.

Oh and I tagged you at my blog today. If you want to play along, I would love to see your answers to the questions.